French Hospital awards $40k to non-profits
Posted: Jan 28, 2011 10:59 AM by Carina Corral – Source: KSBY News
French Hospital Medical Center has helped eight non-profits improve health and living conditions in San Luis Obispo County by awarding more than $40,000 as part of its annual Community Grant Program.
The organizations that received grants are:
· Alliance for Pharmaceutical Access, Inc (APA) was awarded $7,500 to expand its model of providing prescription medications for chronic medical conditions to targeted populations such as the uninsured, under-insured, seniors, low and very low income.
· San Luis Obispo ALPHA, Inc was awarded $2,500 to expand existing prenatal and perinatal depression support by offering a weekly Spanish speaking support for Latina mothers struggling with the adjustment to motherhood.
· El Camino Homeless Organization (ECHO) was awarded $5,000 to help continue to accommodate the unmet needs of the homeless by providing shelter, meals and medical care to prevent disease.
· Enhancement, Inc. was awarded $5,000 for the Breast Cancer Care Fund to help continue to provide financial assistance in paying for supplies for lymph-edema treatment and/or other breast cancer-related treatment costs for breast cancer survivors in need.
· Gatehelp, Inc. was awarded $5,000 to help fund full-time case management positions in order to assist all clients to complete necessary health screenings, assist with transportation referrals and attend health care/mental health appointments.
· SLO Noor Foundation was awarded $5,748 to secure funds to purchase medical equipment and supplies, examination equipment and office equipment for its free health clinic.
· Transitional Food and Shelter, Inc. was awarded $5,000 to provide round-the-clock, temporary shelter for homeless cancer patients.
· Wilshire Community Services was awarded $5,000 for to fund the Aftercare Intervention Service program, which provides an accessible continuum of service options for older adults and their families after being discharged from a hospital. Currently, there is no other source for funding.
French Hospital has given out nearly $140,000 to non-profits in San Luis Obispo County since it began awarding community grants five years ago.