FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS – from Dentists
VOLUNTEERING AT THE NOOR DENTAL CLINIC
1. QUESTION: If I volunteer at the clinic, what will my hours be?
Currently the Noor Dental Clinic is open Wednesdays and Fridays. That may expand in the future depending upon the availability of volunteers. You can volunteer for any days you want and any hours within that day you prefer. When you volunteer, you are NOT locked into ongoing or continuing schedule. You do NOT have to volunteer for example, “every Friday” or “first Wednesday of every month”, etc. You can volunteer for one day within a particular week, or a month, or one day in a year. You are not volunteering for a fixed schedule. Also, you can choose the hours you want to work during the day you volunteer. For example, you may choose to work 9 am to 1 pm, or 1 pm to 4 pm, 10 am to 5 pm, or any other time frame you prefer.
EXCEPTION: We currently sublease the Noor Dental Clinic one day a week (Thursdays) to Tolosa Children’s Dental Clinic. Therefore, you cannot volunteer for Thursdays.
2. QUESTION: I understand that the Noor Dental Clinic has its own dental assistants. Can I bring my own dental assistant to assist me when I volunteer?
Yes. Some dentists currently do this. We encourage it! Just let us know that you will be doing this when you volunteer.
3. QUESTION: I have equipment/tools/supplies that I prefer to use for some dental procedures. If you do not have them at your clinic, is it ok for me to bring my own?
Yes. Please do. We want you to feel comfortable working at the Noor Dental Clinic.
4. QUESTION: Do I have to provide a full range of dental procedures while volunteering at the clinic?
No. You can choose to provide a limited range of services when you volunteer. Just let us know when you volunteer which procedures you will be performing and we will select your patients for these services.
5. QUESTION: I have heard that you use Dentrix practice management software (electronic medical records) and Dexis digital imaging software. What if I am not familiar with these programs or have not used electronicmedical records?
Yes, we do use Dentrix electronic medical records and Dexis digital imaging software. Don’t worry. We do not expect all of our volunteers to be familiar with these systems. We have dental assistants and front office staff who know these systems and will provide the support needed. We can do the needed data input and program interactions while you provide dental services to your patient.
6. QUESTION: How are patients triaged for eligibility at the Noor Dental Clinic?
Patients are eligible for dental care at the clinic if their income does not exceed 200% of the 2014 Federal Poverty Level. This is the current standard for many free clinics in California.
7. QUESTION: What type of professional liability insurance does the Noor Dental Clinic have?
Because Noor Dental is a free, non-profit clinic, we have medical malpractice liability coverage provided under the Federal Tort Claims Act which covers all volunteers who work at our facility.
Do you have other questions? Give us a call at 805-592-2240 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org